2×3 build in RI

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Sean 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Andrew
    Participant

Thought I would share my almost finished MPCNC with you guys as a thank you.  I am a Marine Tech and wanted to be able to offer my customers custom dash panels, switch plates, etc. when doing new engine installations and upgrades.  I stumbled on the MPCNC during a quick search.  I have no background whatsoever in CAD or CNC, but I really enjoy making stuff!  After perusing the forum over here for a bit and seeing how helpful everyone was, I ended up comfortable with the idea of going for it and ordered my kit from Ryan.  The website was super helpful and all the instructions were clear enough for a noob like me.

Bought an inexpensive 3d printer and figured out Cura.  3 weeks later and I have an operational CAD table.  I even taught myself to use Onshape and designed my first ever part, 3-d printed it and installed it on my new MPCNC.  (Milestone!)  It’s a mount for the center assembly drag chain that doesn’t attach to the z axis (Because Ryan seems so against it!).

I’ve been getting the machine dirty and slowly learning the ins-and-outs of Estlcam.

The build is 2×3 (though I really wanted 2×4 so that I could fit full widths and make some furniture.  Guess I’ll just have to start printing the parts for a lowrider…).  .065 stainless tubing (which i bought enough of from my local supplier FOR the lowrider as well….) with a chinese 500w spindle.

Just need to create some kind of enclosure to mount the rambo board, spinle speed controller, stop switch and power distribution in (open to suggestions!)

I would love to hear your thoughts on the build – including constructive criticism!  Thanks for the quick responses on the few questions I’ve had.  I enjoyed the heck out of this build!

Andrew

2 users thanked author for this post.

Andrew
    Participant

I had a slight issue with my center assembly being out of square no matter what I tried.  Luckily I had ordered the dual end stop kit.  The dual end stops were super easy to set up and with the firmware already flashed by Ryan it was basically plug and play.  I can now draw a 2’x3′ square that is under 1/32″ out of square

Ryan
    Keymaster

Love it…other that the cable chain (kidding sort of)…Great build and love the branding, Welcome to the crew!

Josh
    Participant

Haha Ryan you dont have to lie, I think we all know how you feel about cable chain.  Looks great just be aware of the drag chain catching oversized parts sticking out the back.

Mike Pensinger
    Participant

Any chance you want to share that z axis chain mount?

1 user thanked author for this post.

Andrew
    Participant

Yeah no problem!

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, I never saw the notification…….been too busy making sawdust

Just uploaded it

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3483804

Mike Pensinger
    Participant

Thanks!

Scott Slusser
    Participant

Looks like a great setup! Which spindle are you using?

Andrew
    Participant

It is a cheapo 500w import spindle.  I’m not sold on it yet.  I seem to be getting quite a lot of chatter especially in plywood regardless of my feeds/speeds.  Thinking that the low rpm (12500 max) and long collet adapter are contributing to the problem. I’m still trying to figure it out, but it might just be my lack of experience!

It’s super quiet….until it starts cutting.  The little fan on top is held on with some loose snap rings top and bottom that make a bit of a racket also…just dropped a little super glue on them and they quieted right down

I have a DeWalt 660 due to be delivered tomorrow that I want to try out.  We will see if it makes a difference

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-ER11-Chuck-CNC-500W-Spindle-Motor-52mm-Clamps-Speed-Govern-controller-/232625642122?txnId=1656709980013

Andrew
    Participant

Finally had enough of listening to the dw660 scream in my garage, and the sodust that went with it.  I built a quick enclosure.  Figured I might as well share it!  Now I can work in there while it’s. Running without ear protection!

1 user thanked author for this post.

Sean
    Participant

Nice, I need to enclose mine just for some dust control! You guys keep making these and giving me a lot of motivation!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.