24"x42" J Tech Laser/Router build in GA

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Your Builds – MPCNC 24"x42" J Tech Laser/Router build in GA

This topic contains 65 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Tim 2 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 61 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Author

Ryan
    Keymaster

Looks pretty good though! I giant circle is by far the most dimension critical thing you can do, so for a first run of something so big, I’ll give you a 99/100.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Tim

Tim
    Participant

Looks pretty good though! I giant circle is by far the most dimension critical thing you can do, so for a first run of something so big, I’ll give you a 99/100.

Even harder because it’s a 24″ circle and my machine is 24″ cutting area, so I couldn’t use hard stops and have the file be 24″. But I’m pretty happy with it, I think dual endstops are in my future…

Tim
    Participant

Expectation

Reality

Didn’t have time to coat it in anything before doing the resin (my flight leaves at 3:00 tomorrow afternoon) so I went for it….

Didn’t turn out half bad.

Should note this is vcarved not pocketed. I loooove the finish vcarving leaves straight off the machine.

After taking that pic, I took a finger nail brush and rubbed it across the vcarved areas and it actually cleaned it up even more. Just a stiff nylon brush. Funny how soft pine is.

Another one bites the dust.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Barry
    Participant

Probably the hardest part is getting the thing level!  I made Shaneh a penny table for her office(bookkeeper), thought I had it level, I was slightly wrong.  Took way more pennies than I thought it would, had to go back to the bank twice!  Also took more glaze coat than I thought, ended up with 3 quarts, still have an unopened box in the barn because we didn’t want to go back again.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AXXvroNVAWZU1G8Q2

Tim
    Participant

Probably the hardest part is getting the thing level! I made Shaneh a penny table for her office(bookkeeper), thought I had it level, I was slightly wrong. Took way more pennies than I thought it would, had to go back to the bank twice! Also took more glaze coat than I thought, ended up with 3 quarts, still have an unopened box in the barn because we didn’t want to go back again.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AXXvroNVAWZU1G8Q2

lol right! I don’t think there’s a perfectly level surface in my entire house. I want to try another sign with a glaze coat over the whole thing soon.

That looks very nice!

Tim
    Participant

Tangentially related to MPCNC so gonna post it here, lol. Maybe someone else will be able to make use of it.

I like to record my projects and then post them to Instagram… and hopefully some YouTube here soon.. but I sold my nice camera gear a couple years ago (had a $300 carbon fiber tripod, Sony A6000, a bunch of lenses… wish I never got rid of them, especially the tripod!)

But this is 2019 and I’m a firm believer in “the best camera is the one you have with you”–so my iPhone is good enough. And actually, I find the ease of speeding up a video and posting it straight to Instagram or Facebook verrrry nice. I actually did buy another A6000 a month or so ago, but I’m not using it for video for that reason.

Anyway. I found this iPhone XS tripod mount on Thingiverse, printed it out… and it didn’t fit at all. Not even close. I found if I scaled it to 95% it fit. My printer is pretty dang accurate now so I’m thinking the guy who designed the original has a printer that may not be… Anyway, the original was designed for the 1/4-20 from the tripod to just form its own threads into. I don’t find that to be a very robust solution, so I decided to open up the STL in Fusion, change the hole size to the recommended drill size for the inserts I used on my spoilboard (threaded 1/4-20, sweeeeeet) print it out.. and everything was good. Except the 1/4-20 stub on the tripod is only like 3/16″ long, and the first 3/16″ of the threaded insert is unthreaded because it’s cut out to fit an allen key. So I threaded it in so that part was sticking out and cut the allen key bit off with my jigsaw. And it works great!!

Kinda happy with how I hacked this together as cheaply as possible–I got the tripod on Amazon (Amazonbasics) so it was around $15… and plenty good enough to hold a cellphone.

Have some other stuff in the pipeline, but it’s about to get crazy busy at work (huge semiannual event coming up in a month) so we shall see when I get to it.

Viewing 6 posts - 61 through 66 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.