17w laser, seem legit?

This topic contains 41 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Barry 3 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author

I’ve been doing research for awhile to find a much more poweful laser without going the route of a co2 laser (I just want to cut wood, not metal!).

Lately I’ve been seeing much more powerful lasers poping up on amazon a few I assume are just overdriven lasers that will probably burn out pretty fast, but I did find an 17w laser module that actually looks like it might be legit. Anyone have any input on the trueness of this lasers claims?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/450nm-445nm-17W-17000mW-High-power-blue-laser-module-engraving-wood-metal-goggle/232329874309?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3D0953805810e4487896ce5af139bc5d5e%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D8%26rkt%3D8%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D202204100790%26itm%3D232329874309&_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042

Ryan
    Keymaster

No way. I am a doubter for sure. Fine print says 8W and even that seems insane. What spot size and how the hell did they jump from the current top of 3.5W to 8? are they combining beams in there, if so how are the optics?

Another thing is China is about to go on there long vacation a time when some businesses don’t ever open back up. I hate to say this but it could just be a money grab. I feel like I am spreading a dirty rumor but if you want to try it I would at least wait until the end of Feb.

Jakob A
    Participant

As far as I know, the current single diode max is around 6W. I guess if you push it you could call it 8W… 17W pulsed? maybe, but not very useful.

Optlasers.com has a 12W version made with 3 diodes that looks cool (but its expensive…).

I have their older 5W module (the CLH-5000), it does pretty much what they say it does. It will cut 6mm plywood if you get the focus and speed right, but its not exactly fast 🙂

So, I ended up buying an 8 watt laser (had more believable specs, and it would be possible to pulse it to a higher wattage but like you said, no real reason) so I’ll keep you guys posted on how/if it works.

I got the laser today, it is combining beams (three separate lasers from a quick look inside the case by removing the lense) I’ll do a bigger break down soon but it is DEFINITELY much more powerful then my 4.5 watt laser it cut thru 1/8th inch wood like it was nothing. I’ll be making a video about it for my youtube this weekend, probably analyzing and hooking it up to the CNC machine.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Awesome I can’t wait to see more about it!

Awesome I can’t wait to see more about it!

Tonight I get to go through the painstaking process of creating a mount for it before I can even play with it. Other then just shooting at things haphazardly lol.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Zipties and duct tape,  take it for a test ride!

I know I’ve asked for this before, and I cant find again now, but what are the specifications on the tool mount (gap between the screws both vertically and horizontally)

Zipties and duct tape, take it for a test ride!

Haha, It is heavier then you’d think so I’d prefer to not have it suddenly start swinging around cutting up the wall and anything else that might pass by, haha.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Pffft don’t be afraid of a little light saber limbo, just protect your eyes at all times and you’ll be fine! (joking, be safe)

I know I’ve asked for this before, and I cant find again now, but what are the specifications on the tool mount (gap between the screws both vertically and horizontally)

Nevermind I found the blank mount again!

Got the mount printing; going to take a few hours can’t wait to get this thing a-slicing.

Attachments:

SquidPlan
    Participant

Can you drop a link to the one you actually bought?

Vincent Pollaro
    Participant

Definitely interested in which one you bought!

Here is my video about the laser module (its linked to where I bought it is in the description) https://youtu.be/3yE2-oEl2Cg

Ryan
    Keymaster

Cool video. That laser is pretty crazy.

Cool video. That laser is pretty crazy.

Its actually a far bit stronger then I thought it was in that video, getting closer to finding the sweet spot in range and passes but I was able to cut 80% of the way through a piece of 5mm birch in a single pass now that I have the focus point more exact. Designing a rig to make it easier to adjust it back to its perfect focus point, kind of like a touch plate.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Most of the lasers seem to have an ideal length as well. If I remember right it is above 50cm, then you can manually focus, and then use something like my focusing script to really dial it in. The further away the better. It gets you a less steep focal cone (deeper cuts), and keeps the smoke further away from damaging your lens. In the video you could see a few times where the smoke was just baking on your lens. The down side to a really powerful laser is less steps in your contrast resolution in etching unless you modify the firmware like Leo69 did.

Most of the lasers seem to have an ideal length as well. If I remember right it is above 50cm, then you can manually focus, and then use something like my focusing script to really dial it in. The further away the better. It gets you a less steep focal cone (deeper cuts), and keeps the smoke further away from damaging your lens. In the video you could see a few times where the smoke was just baking on your lens. The down side to a really powerful laser is less steps in your contrast resolution in etching unless you modify the firmware like Leo69 did.

Exactly what I’m doing right now, dialing in the focus point with a slow stepping script, the blower fan I added to it with the mount solved the smoke problem the air pressure is so strong that any smoke that is still produced is blown away but barely any comes out with that much pressure on the burn (which actually had a pretty big impact on the cut power as well). I did modify the firmware as well. Now I’m trying to calculate the ‘step down’ per pass which is pretty variant based on the material of course.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I have seen a few papers arguing the step down thing. It might not be necessary. It has to do with the focal cone. If you carve a tiny slit and then move the laser down the cone hits the edges of the slit and lessens the power. I have no idea if it holds any validity. Other than sounding good in theory. Probably best to focus the beam every so slightly past the surface instead.

I do know 100% that the air assist right at the cut point makes a huge difference. The diode and the C02 both benefit greatly from a high pressure stream of focused air. Gets the smoke out of the way of the laser I think. But I think it easily doubled the cutting depth of my CO2.

Jeffeb3
    Participant
    I have seen a few papers arguing the step down thing. It might not be necessary. It has to do with the focal cone. If you carve a tiny slit and then move the laser down the cone hits the edges of the slit and lessens the power. I have no idea if it holds any validity. Other than sounding good in theory.

I would like to try something like trochoidal cuts to widen the kerf and then step down, but I haven’t bothered to make a mount for my tiny laser on the low rider yet.

I just saw SOGC’s PCB video and I loved that he just tossed on a laser and engraved a pattern on his spoil board. I want it to be that easy for me.

I have seen a few papers arguing the step down thing. It might not be necessary. It has to do with the focal cone. If you carve a tiny slit and then move the laser down the cone hits the edges of the slit and lessens the power. I have no idea if it holds any validity. Other than sounding good in theory. Probably best to focus the beam every so slightly past the surface instead. I do know 100% that the air assist right at the cut point makes a huge difference. The diode and the C02 both benefit greatly from a high pressure stream of focused air. Gets the smoke out of the way of the laser I think. But I think it easily doubled the cutting depth of my CO2.

I was thinking about that as well, it might not be required to step the laser down much if any, but that sort of depends on the width of the material, I’m dealing with mostly 5mm stuff which is kind of thick for a diode. I am designing a little attachment for the mount that will use an aquarium pump I had from my last laser experiments to see if directly pumping oxygen (not blowing but pumping) will have a big impact on it, it did with the much smaller 4.5w laser so I’m excited to see what it can do with double the power.

Thanks for all the views to my video that came from these forums, it actually got me motivated to continue making them. This weekend I’m probably going to film some experiments with various methods for pumping in air to see which one has the best effect with my specific setup! I think with some effort I could get it down to two or three passes to cut out 1/4 inch birch.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Barry
    Participant

Have you seen the ones that blow air in line with the beam?

Have you seen the ones that blow air in line with the beam?

I’ve seen a few designs that do things like that, not sure if its the same one however.

Ryan
    Keymaster

That is how I added it to my Co2. You need more pressure than a fan can deal with. It works very well and keep your lens perfectly clean. I just 3d printed a cone that fit on my laser, came down to a ~3mm hole, had a barb on the side that fit surgical tubing, and that went down to a large aquarium pump I got from amazon.  A bunch of the k40’s do it that way that way there is nothing to adjust. If the laser can see it so can the air stream. Pumping air in from the side means certain directions work better than others.

Larry Edinger
    Participant

Do you have a link to the one you  bought?

Thanks

Barry
    Participant
    That is how I added it to my Co2. You need more pressure than a fan can deal with. It works very well and keep your lens perfectly clean. I just 3d printed a cone that fit on my laser, came down to a ~3mm hole, had a barb on the side that fit surgical tubing, and that went down to a large aquarium pump I got from amazon. A bunch of the k40’s do it that way that way there is nothing to adjust. If the laser can see it so can the air stream. Pumping air in from the side means certain directions work better than others.

I think he’d be okay with the fan he has, it’s a centrifugal blower fan.  I have three smaller ones on my 3d printer, can’t let them get over 25% or they blow too much and cool the hot end down.  He could go crazy and add one on the other side, duct both into a cylinder that’s open at the bottom and seals up against the laser lens assembly.  Could get really fancy and duct them opposite of each other so you get a swirl in the air stream.  That should kick out any particulates that might foul the lens.

Mike
    Participant

There was a design on thingiverse that used a fan and he said he was going to change to tubing because the fan was recycling the smoke once he started really cutting a lot.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.