1 inch surfacing bit works!

New Home Forum Random or Off Topic 1 inch surfacing bit works!

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Barry 6 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Barry
    Participant

Running this on my 500watt dc spindle.  Only taking a .1 mm depth of cut though.  Forget what the feed rate was.  Spindle is just a tad out, I can feel the step overs, but not by much, and with smaller bits, I never notice.  I’ll even it up better after MRRF since I’m pulling it off for show and tell.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Mike
    Participant

Oh man, that is like magic watching it disappear out from under the bit like that. Do you have a link for which bit you are using? I have looked at a few but never can quite get myself to pull the trigger.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Impressive! Super perpendicular and you have a solid build to swing a 1″ bit. So nice.

Barry
    Participant

David Walling
    Participant

I bought a 3/4″ end mill to face mine, but haven’t had a chance to run it yet. My spoilboard is larger than my cut size, so when I finish, I’ll still have a bump up along the edges. I’m thinking I’ll just take a belt sander and chamfer those edges down.

SquidPlan
    Participant

I stuck a 3/4″ router bit that I had into the spindle and just manually ran it all over the usable surface, so yeah, if it fits it’ll work.  I removed about 2mm.  Things are square to the machine even though the table is all wavy.

Barry
    Participant

I bought a 3/4″ end mill to face mine, but haven’t had a chance to run it yet. My spoilboard is larger than my cut size, so when I finish, I’ll still have a bump up along the edges. I’m thinking I’ll just take a belt sander and chamfer those edges down.

Mine leaves spots at the corners, and a thin strip down one side because I didn’t get the spoil board centered.  I used a sharp chisel to pare down those spots.  A small hand plane would work too.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.