1/4 to 6 mm is it posible

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Your Builds – MPCNC 1/4 to 6 mm is it posible

This topic contains 13 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Mick 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Kazzo
    Participant

I am in country with metric mesures , and have router with 6 mm tighten jaw . Is it posible to use 1/4 ” router bits ?

Kevin Lopez
    Participant

I would say no, because 6.35mm is quite different from 6mm. It will definitely not fit.

1 user thanked author for this post.

S Sauntson
    Participant

You can obtain 6mm Shanked router bits off eBay with a very reasonable price tag as well as FREE postage

regards

Kazzo
    Participant

Price is not that important, but the choice of types of cutters are. There is a lot more choice for the milling cutter with 6.35 mm.

Worked for me. I can’t say for sure it will work for you since it will depend on your router.

Just buy one bit and try out, it’s not like those things cost thousand of dollars 🙂

BillW
    Participant

Depending on the make of your router, collets are available, as an example have a look at aimtools.co.uk under Power tools, Woodworking.

Mark de Reeper
    Participant

Speaking of AimTools, they are out of stock of handy looking a collet set, anyone know of where else I could get a set of these?

SP10174814 Trimmer Collet Chuck Set 3/8" 1/4", 6MM & 8MM

TIA

Mark

BillW
    Participant

Do you know of anyone with a lathe and mill. (Model engineer maybe)
    The one on the left I made.
    Please note I would not like to supply anyone with one because ideally it should be hardened, although it is made of high carbon steel, the first one I made cracked on quenching so this is not hardened, my risk.

Attachments:

BillW
    Participant

Just a thought, would the Makita collets fit ?

Mark de Reeper
    Participant

Just a thought, would the Makita collets fit ?

I am not sure, do you have a link to some examples or the dimensions?

My collet is 11.14mm at the fattest point, 8.5mm at the thinest point and 7.6mm tall – 

Attachments:

BillW
    Participant

We need someone with a Makita to measure their collets.

The angle of the taper is the most important factor, 16 degrees on the Katsu.

Mark de Reeper
    Participant

We need someone with a Makita to measure their collets.

The angle of the taper is the most important factor, 16 degrees on the Katsu.

Measuring the best I can it looks to be 16 degrees.

Taking another crack at the search I found http://www2.aimtools.co.uk/3pcs-set-trimmer-collet-chuck.html which looks to provide the 6mm collet I want, will see what happens when I try to order it.

Evan
    Participant

Collet only has one slit? I wonder what kind of TIR that manages.

Mick
    Participant

Collet only has one slit? I wonder what kind of TIR that manages.

it wont be as good and even slits but it should still centre on the taper.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.